Thursday, November 6, 2008

Bringing Books Alive Through Natural Toys


Toadstoom Mushroom Felt Toy

Originally uploaded by Pictures by Ann

One of the gifts I enjoy giving my daughters is bringing books alive. I read a tremendous amount of books to the girls. There are many benefits to doing this, but two that I see every day are:

- the girls have incredibly creative imaginations which is evident when they play. They develop a wide range of stories with different characters and plot lines, and then act them out.

- their vocabulary is extensive and includes words that are challenging and not always used by children their age (not inappropriate language...just words that aren't "easy" and commonly used).

I enjoy giving them tiny, handmade natural toys that I make. In this picture, Olivia (who is 5 1/2 year olds) is holding one of the toadstool mushrooms I recently made.

She loves to play with tiny, all-natural toys that I make...especially when they tie into a book that I've read to her.

Perhaps the most endearing books that have illustrations featuring toadstool mushrooms are by Elsa Beskow. Three titles of books that Ms. Beskow wrote that I've read to Olivia and Sophia are:
- Children of the Forest
- Around the Year
- Woody, Hazel and Little Pip

Additional toadstool mushrooms are available in my Etsy shop. The link to my shop is to the right of this site. Otherwise, please visit http://www.harvestmoonbyhand.etsy.com

No comments: