Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Day 17 - Writing Short Stories

Today is the seventh anniversary of Olivia's adoption day.  She was adopted on November 17th, 2003, from Dianjiang Social Welfare Institute in Chongqing Province, China. 

Sophia, Me, and Olivia on November 17, 2003, in Chongqing, China
Sophia is almost 3 years old and Olivia is 10 months old

Sophia, Me, and Olivia  on November 17, 2010
Sophia is almost 10 years old and Olivia is almost 8 years old

A long time ago, I wrote a short story about her birth and adoption. The first part was fiction since no information about provided about her birth or birth family.  The only thing known is her birthdate since it was written on a piece of paper that was pinned to her jacket she wore when a person found her in the middle of the town square in a basket.

The second part of the story is fact and describes the day her pictures arrived via Fed Ex, the journey made to China, meeting Olivia for the first time, and bringing her home.

I typed and edited the story this morning before Olivia woke up.  As usual, she woke up early (about 7:00 a.m.) and asked what I was working on.  "Another story about someone very special."

"Who?" she asked.

"You.  Do you want to hear it?"

"Yes!"

So, I read the story to her as she cuddled right next to me.  Out of the corner of my eye, I could see her smiling as I read the story.  When I was done, her response was:  "I love it! You have to read it to Sophia when she wakes up!"

My creative project as part of Art Every Day Month was editing and finally finishing the story I wanted to share with Olivia.  Now she has her own story that celebrates her adoption, and it is something she can read whenever she needs extra encouragement and a reminder how truly special she is.

2 comments:

Admin said...

This is so sweet. Your artwork is amazing! Giving such a great home to these two beautiful little girls is a wonderful inspiration to others.

Anonymous said...

That is the sweetest thing I've read in a long time. Your truly blessed to have such love in your life. There is nothing like being a mom.