Saturday, July 23, 2011

Purple - The Summer of Color (Week 7)

Here it is Week 7 of The Summer of Color challenge. This week's color is one of my favorite ones: purple (another favorite color of mine is green). 

When I was growing up, my bedroom was all purple - the walls, the carpet, and even the decorative stenciling at the top of the walls near the ceiling. Anything I made for the room - a quilt, a picture, a pillow - had something purple in it. 

Needless to say, I was excited to work with purple this week, and made some window stars.  Two of the stars are created from patterns that I have used regularly.

The sun was so bright in the afternoon
which revealed the patterns in each of the window stars.

The third pattern (the star on the bottom in the picture above) is one that I designed a couple weeks ago. I've been playing around with the pattern in different colors (solo and color combinations).

This is the newest pattern that I created.

A bit about the window stars: the translucent paper is cut into small pieces for each of the points. I hand-fold each of the points multiple times and then glue the points together. Once all of the points are attached, the pattern of the star is revealed.

Some of the stars are easy. For example, the star on the upper right has only five folds per point (with ten points, that's 50 folds to make the star).

It took 50 folds to make this star.

Other stars are a bit more complicated. The star on the upper left in the picture above has 10 folds per point. It has 8 points, so that's 80 folds to make the star.

The most complicated star I make has 26 folds per point and 8 points. That's 208 folds to make one window star. 

The other project I've been working on for The Summer of Color challenge is a quilt. As I've mentioned before, each week I make two quilt squares that feature the color of the week. Each square has seven strips of fabric of varying widths to represent a 7-day week.

Two quilt squares done in 7 different patterns and shades of purple.
Two of the fabrics have "glittery" and "sparkly" elements -
the bonus challenge of the week.

All the fabric I'm using is from what I have on hand. I am committed to not purchasing any new supplies or materials to make the quilt.  I think of all the quilts that my grandma and mom made using fabric that was available. They made do with what they had rather than always purchasing new supplies.

Thought this would be a good time to challenge myself to make do with what I have rather than acquiring new fabric (however much I would enjoy going to a fabric store and picking beautiful material that is all color- and pattern-coordinated).

14 squares done...2 more to go!
Eenie (the cat) watched me lay out the squares.
I know he wanted to jump on them and mess them up.
He was a good cat...he showed some restraint....at least this time.

13 comments:

Tam Hess said...

I love purple too! I love your stars and all that fabric is awesome. Can't wait to see what you do next. :)

Mandy said...

your stars are beautiful...can you possibly direct me to a place i could find a pattern to make these with me children...i home school pone of my little boys and was wondering how old your 2 gorgeous ones are...take care...xxx

Netty said...

Wonderful hangings in purple and love your quilt pieces as well. x

Terrie said...

Each week as I see your stars I'm amazed at the number of folds and intricacies of making such pretty pieces. And your quilt - OMG - it's going to be SO pretty. I love each of the squares and the way you're using what you have. So cool!

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Stars are beautiful and they have such unique pattern. Eenie is just adorable and being very good to help you out like this. :)

Joanna said...

What an amazing talent you have. These stars are so incredibly delicate and lovely...especially in the sunlight :) xo Joanna

Everydaythings said...

that star is AMAZING!

Anonymous said...

wow,, this is truly amazing,, love both projects,,

Ella said...

These are beautiful; oooh, I want to make these, how stunning! I'm fascinated by your stars!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

Such beautiful creations. How intricate your stars are to make. The result is amazing! Thank you for sharing. :)

Kristin said...

These are stunning! I LOVE the color of the paper you used and your folds are amazing - your new star is so beautiful ;) AND your quilt is coming together so beautifully, it makes me smile every time I see it, xo

Daniele Valois said...

These are so pretty. I cannot wait to see them all together!

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Your window stars look ever so pretty in purple :)