Monday, November 7, 2011

30 Days of Giving Thanks - Day 6 - My Niece

Today I thanked my niece (Ashlie) by writing her a card and sending two pictures of her at a family gathering last month.

Ashlie is standing behind my parents.
(This was taken in the healing garden at the nursing home.)

My parents took care of Ashlie when she was a baby through her early elementary school years when her parents both worked. She brought my parents a lot of joy because they were able to spend so much time with their first granddaughter.

My mom still talks about baking cookies with Ashlie, and how she helped them set up before mass or special services (my dad was a deacon).

She brought a lot of joy to their lives - and the memories of their time together still bring back remind her of happy times. These type of memories are so critical, especially on days that are more challenging.

I thanked Ashlie for her love towards my parents - unconditional love that she gave so freely and that made such an impact on their lives.

No comments: