Wednesday, November 9, 2011

30 Days of Giving Thanks - Day 9 - Kent

My next door neighbor, Kent, is someone for whom I am thankful. In addition to his career, he also is a volunteer firefighter which means when I've had to make 911 calls, Kent is usually one of the first ones to arrive.



Many years ago, I called 911 because I was feeling very unsteady on my feet and I knew that something was not right. I ended up having to go to the emergency room and was treated for dehydration. Not only did Kent arrive quickly and take my vitals, but he and his wife watched Sophia and Olivia while I was at the hospital. He even picked me up at the hospital after the bags of medicine/IVs were done and I was stabilized.

More recently, he came over when I had a very serious asthma attack and couldn't get my breath. It was relatively scary for me since I couldn't seem to get enough oxygen into my lungs and couldn't find my inhaler. He was there even before the police and paramedics arrived.

Many times over the past 16 years - and with only a moment's notice - Kent and his wife have come over to let out the dogs if there was an emergency with my family and I was unable to get back home in a timely manner.

And then there was the time that Kent was there to help when I had a mink that was killing my chickens. He managed to trap and kill it so it wouldn't destroy my entire flock of chickens.

However, in the process of "mink elimination" the mink decided it wasn't too happy with Kent. As Kent opened the live trap, the mink made a run for it - right up his leg. Needless to say...it was quite chaotic and very stressful for everyone who was there. It's probably one of those memories he'd rather forget.


No comments: