Friday, November 18, 2011

30 Days of Giving Thanks - Days 15-18 - Geese/Piano/Orphanage/Night Nature Walk

For the first half of the month, I wrote letters to family and friends to thank them for different ways that they have positively affected my life.

During the past few days, I took a break from writing letters as well as writing each day here about giving thanks. This gave me time to think about other things for which I am thankful:

- Day 15: I am thankful for seeing at least 75 geese in multiple "V" formations fly overhead. I could hear them in the distance and the honking got louder and louder. All at once, it seemed, dozens of geeze came into view as they flew over the pine trees.

"Don't look up as geese fly directly over your head!" I remember my dad telling me when I was younger. I had to look up, though. It was an amazing sight as the different formations flew separately, would merge, separate again, and circle around the backyard, pasture, and field next door.

A Honking V of Geese
One of the formations looked like this.
There were many other smaller "V"s and
single geese flying around the main formation.

- Day 16: I am thankful for being able to play the piano. Although it certainly would be of great benefit to play each day so my skills don't continue to decline, I am thankful that I can sit down and still play some songs and learn new ones.

Me Playing the Piano
Playing the piano.
(Sophia took this picture of my hands a couple of years ago.)

- Day 17: I am thankful for the orphanage and nannies who took care of Olivia for ten months before she was adopted in 2003. 

Girls and Ann in China in 2003
From left to right: Sophia (almost 3 years old), me, and
Olivia (10 months old).
Taken on November 17, 2003, in China.

Olivia in her Adoption Day Clothes
Olivia, age 4, trying on the outfit she wore
on her adoption day.
Although the sleeves and pant legs are a bit short,
she still fit into the outfit.

This is probably the last year that Olivia
is going to squeeze into the outfit.
Taken on November 17, 2011, Olivia is 8 years old.

- Day 18: I am thankful for going on an evening walk with Sophia and Olivia with flashlights. Although the original purpose of the walk wasn't for a good reason (we couldn't find Bailey in the pasture or near the barn), we did find her happily (and safely) eating grass by the pine trees in the pasture with the nature trail.

Bailey
Bailey during the day. 
Certainly, she's easier to find during the day
than at night when it is dark.

It was a beautiful night - crisp with a barely a breeze. By 5:45 p.m., it was completely dark and quiet. Very peaceful. With only our three flashlights guiding our way, we made our way through the pastures and on the trails.

Bailey joined us for part of the walk. Having her walk alongside me - so close that her shoulder was touching my arm as we walked back to the barn - made me very grateful to be living in the country.



No comments: