Sunday, March 11, 2012

Composer Study - George Gershwin

George Gershwin (September 26, 1898 – July 11, 1937) was an American composer and pianist. His compositions spanned both popular and classical genres, and his most popular melodies are widely known.


Among his best known works are the orchestral compositions Rhapsody in Blue (1924) and An American in Paris (1928), as well as the opera Porgy and Bess (1935).

Sophia and Olivia listened to six pieces by Gershwin. The songs and the girls' comments are noted below.

"I Got Rhythm" - variations for piano and orchestra (1934)

- Both the girls liked the first variation.
- Sophia said, "I liked the first part because it was more cheerful than the others."
- Olivia said, "I liked the beginning the best."

"The Yankee Doodle Blues" (1922)

- Sophia said, "I can't believe people actually listened to music like this."
- Olivia didn't have a comment for this piece.

"Somebody Love Me" (1924)

- Sophia said, "It sounds like old-fashioned music like in the White Christmas at The Carousel Club."
- Olivia said, "It sounds like the 1960s. I liked 'I Got Rhythm' better."

"That Certain Feeling" (1925)

- Sophia said, "There's too much trombone."
- Olivia said, "It's too noisy."

"Sweet and Low Down" (1925)

- Sophia said, "It's okay. It sounds old-fashioned."
- Olivia said,"It's not that great. I like people singing. That's what I prefer."

"Rhapsody in Blue" (1924)

- Sophia said, "It's on Tom and Jerry."
- Olivia said, "If they get hit on the head, they always recover."

No comments: