Sunday, August 12, 2012

Take a Stitch Tuesday - Cast On Stitch - Week 32

This week for Take a Stitch Tuesday, the featured stitch is the Cast On Stitch. It reminds me a bit of knitting (even though I don't knit) because you need to put quite a few loops on your needle for each stitch. By the time I was done putting the loops on the needle, they looked like one of my mom's knitting needles when she would make mittens or afghans for us.

Each of the flowers has 
4-6 individual cast-on stitches.
There are probably 40-70 loops per flower.

It's a time-consuming stitch that is a bit too much work for such a tiny space. Perhaps if I were accomplished  at this stitch and I could do it more quickly, then I may feel differently.

At this point, it is - most likely - a stitch I wouldn't use again in the future. At least I learned how to the stitch and know what it is if I ever hear it mentioned.

The two-page journal spread for the week.

The journal included an a personal reflection, list of things for which I'm grateful, the name of the stitch, embroidery sample, images of flowers to remind me of how pretty the flowers are next to the back door (especially the moss roses), and a deer.

Although the image is of a buck, when we were driving back home after having Sophia's harp repaired one afternoon, there was a a trio of deer standing in a grassy, wooded area near the road. It was a mother and her two young ones. It was a such a pleasant surprise to see them in the afternoon (usually we see them early in the morning or at dusk).

No comments: