Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup

One of the things I'm trying to do is move my family away from processed food and transition to more "real food." One of the recipes that I came across was for a chicken noodle soup that is made in the slow cooker or crock pot.

The recipe came from a pin on Pinterest that led to Stacy Makes Cents which featured recipes for 100 days of no-processed meals crock pot style. One of the links led to Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup on Adorkable Recipes. It is absolutely delicious...probably the best chicken noodle soup I've ever made.


Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
serves: 6-8 (conservatively...I think it could serve quite a few people than that)

Ingredients

5 cups chicken broth (or bouillon) (I used 5 cups of water and 5 bouillon cubes)
5-6 cups water
2 cups carrots, sliced thin
1 cup celery, sliced thin
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (I used a generous teaspoon of pre-minced garlic)
2 tsp parsley flakes
1/2 tsp dried basil (I used about 1 teaspoon dried basil)
1 tsp pepper
2-3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (I used part of a leftover whole chicken)
1 cup dry egg noodles (I used 1/2 cup of shell noodles; 1/2 cup of barley; and 1/2 cup of organic flower rice)

Directions

Mix all ingredients except the noodles into the crockpot pot. Keep chicken breast whole (or use pre-cooked, cut up or shredded chicken) and cut up or shred before adding in noodles during the last 30 minutes of cooking.

Cook on high 4 hours, then turn to low until ready to serve.

No comments: