Sunday, May 4, 2014

Jesus CEO - Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks - Week 19

This week I read Jesus CEO - Using Ancient Wisdom for Visionary Leadership by Laurie Beth Jones for the 19th week of the Read 52 Books in 52 Weeks challenge.


Basically the book focuses on three areas that Jesus used to train and motivate his team. His strength of self-mastery, action, and relationships.

Each of the strengths is divided into sub-categories or chapters. The chapters often share a religious as well as business or real-life example of the theme. At the end of each chapter, there are several questions for readers to reflect upon.

Although the book is written for businesses, endeavors, and services that use more than one person to accomplish a goal, I felt as if the book could be adapted to families and/or homeschooling.

For the most part, the book is interesting and points out ideas that I would not have thought about on my own. However, the more I read the book I felt as if it were over-simplifying concepts and/or not providing substantial information.

Many of the ideas for being a strong leader, to me, are common-sense and things I have already done in my life in leadership roles. When these concepts were being presented, I didn't feel a need to read the book word-for-word.

So, for at least half of the book I felt like I was skimming it and trying to find that nugget of valuable information that would inspire me to take my leadership skills to the next level. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

Jesus CEO has some valuable ideas, questions for reflection, and affirmations for leaders. It is for these aspects that I would recommend the book. For the rest of the book that I skimmed through, I wouldn't recommend it. There are other books about being a positive and inspiring visionary leader who has a strong mission and purpose in life that would be more worth one's time.

No comments: