Friday, March 31, 2017

Friday Foto Friends - March 31, 2017 - Wind in the Pines Preserve



Today I'm joining Deb for Friday Foto Friends. Come join us and share your photos!

This week's post focuses on a hike through the Wind in the Pines Preserve in Scandia, Minnesota.


The trail starts out through a prairie with pines in the distance.


The trees provide a nice wind block. It was in the upper 40s...almost 50 degrees. So, a little chilly, yet still pleasant.


Before long, the main path goes through a grove of trees. The ground is covered with pine needles.


There are fallen branches...some covered with unusual growths.


A tree is marked with an arrow, indicating another trail.


Some of the trees are riddled with holes - evidence of birds looking for a meal. Some holes in other trees are large enough to be homes.


The further I walked, the more I was able to hear running water. I wasn't sure where it was coming from - until I reached a cliff. Looking down, I could see flowing water.


Walking down the hill a bit to see the water, there were signs of Spring: ferns were already growing.


On the way back, there was a climb up a steep hill. The pines seemed to tower above me.


Then, looking down, there were pine cones and needles nestled into the stump of a tree that had fallen over.


It was a relaxing and peaceful walk; and I'm happy that I took the time to be outdoors. My goal is to take six new hikes during 2017. I've already taken two this month. Perhaps I'll be able to meet - and exceed - my goal if I continue to be committed to exploring new places locally, throughout the state, and at any place I travel to outside of Minnesota.

2 comments:

Photo(Geo)grapher said...

Great place to relax in the nature

Rita said...

Thank you! This is the only way I get to go on nature walks these days--vicariously. Was wonderful. :)